Tuesday, September 21, 2010

What's for dinner?

Has anyone else ever been asked that question? Is it not the one question that stumps most moms and wives? I have found that planning my weekly meals answers that question for me.

After surgery, my nutritionist suggested planning meals so that there is less "slip-up" room. When you find that you have a list of planned meals and all of the ingredients on hand ....well, its just easy to answer the above mentioned question!

After asking the husband and each child to name a meal (entree and 2 sides) that they would like to eat next week (they pick 1 each and I pick 2 or 3), I make my grocery list. The kids LOVE being able to choose a meal. Even if they pick mac and cheese every single week ;) I make sure that I have everything that I will need on my list and head out to the supermarket. It also helps to have a list so that junk doesn't sneak it's way into your shopping cart.

Once the items are purchased and brought home, I go ahead and prep and separate anything that needs it. I wash veggies and fruits and put everything away.

I then make a list of the meals (usually 5-6 per week) that everyone picked and post it on the fridge. I usually decide on what to fix and on what day. When it is time to start dinner I only need to look on the list and pick a meal.

This works for me and my family, It may not work for others. Personally, I don't like having to give it much thought but there are SOME people that want to go to the grocery store every other day?!?!?! Anyways, this is just my five cents worth on the subject.

Quote of the day: "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. ~Abraham Lincoln

Listening to: Feels like the first time by Foreigner

No comments:

Post a Comment